Peer and professional tutors help with written assignments for all Douglas College courses at any stage of the writing process.
You can get feedback on your writing from a tutor in two ways:
Peer tutors can meet with you in-person (20/50-minute sessions) at New West and Coquitlam campus or via Zoom (25/55-minute sessions). In your tutoring session tutors will:
- help you evaluate and understand the assignment instructions
- discuss your questions about your writing
- review writing techniques, such as thesis development, organization and use of topic sentences
- suggest methods for improving your reading practices and writing
- identify error patterns in your writing and help you improve your editing skills
SUBMIT A DRAFT
Upload your writing assignments, and tutors will respond with questions, feedback and resources to improve your writing.
As a Douglas College student, you may also submit your assignments to WriteAway tutors for feedback.
WriteAway is a service in BC that gives students at participating institutions the opportunity to receive online writing assistance.
Qualified tutors from each of the participating institutions staff the service and provide feedback on students' draft writing assignments.
Academic Integrity and Plagiarism
UNDERSTANDING & AWARENESS
- To increase awareness of the principles and concepts behind academic integrity, plagiarism, and intellectual property.
- In this appointment, you’ll build on your understanding of academic integrity. The tutor will also introduce you to Douglas College resources available, as well as help you come up with a plan to keep learning the skills needed.
USING SOURCES IN YOUR WRITING
- To learn how to paraphrase and quote effectively, without plagiarizing.
- In this appointment, you’ll focus on developing your paraphrasing and ability to use sources as evidence in your writing assignments. The tutor will introduce you to Douglas College Learning Centre resources available.
- If you have a writing assignment you are currently working on where you are integrating sources as evidence, please bring it to this session. A graded assignment will also work to review concepts with the tutor.
STYLE & FORMATTING GUIDELINES
- To learn how to access and follow guides and manuals in order to use APA, MLA and other citation styles to format your writing assignments, as well as how to connect with a librarian for support with citation formatting.
- In this appointment, you’ll learn how to find the formatting and style rules needed for your assignments, as well as what aspects of the style and formatting are important in most college assignments. The tutor will introduce you to resources available, as well as help you come up with a plan to keep learning the skills needed.
Learning Centre Ask-a-Tutor
Peer tutors are available by chat to students needing support for online learning skills, including learning to use Blackboard and Office365 for course assignments (Note: These tutors do not help with login issues or tech support).
Fall 2021 Ask a Tutor Hours:
*September 20th: "Ask-a-Tutor" will close at 4:00pm.
Tuesdays - Fridays: 9:30 AM - 5:30 PM